Transient (as needed) Grading & Inspection Services

men on log croppedIn addition to providing lumber grading and inspection services to member mills and subscribers on an ongoing basis, PLIB also offers services for those who need inspection, quality marking, or certification service on a one-time or infrequent basis.

This “as needed” inspection service is typically used by:

  • Portable sawmill operators
  • Small woodlot owners who use their own lumber for construction projects that require building code approval
  • Contractors who receive lumber shipments with no grade stamps
  • Wood packaging facilities that ship internationally on an infrequent basis
  • Parts and equipment manufacturers who occasionally ship overseas
  • Fixed location mills who saw structural softwood lumber on an infrequent basis
  • Contractors, builders and engineers who need installed lumber inspected

Most transient services are available throughout the regions PLIB serves, including British Columbia, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

Why might I need a one-time inspection service?
Not everyone realizes that lumber used in structural applications must carry a grade stamp from an American Lumber Standard Committee (U.S.) or Canadian Lumber Standard Accreditation Board (Canada) accredited grading agency. It is far less costly to have the lumber inspected and grade stamped in advance of it being used than it is to have a code official red tag a job and possibly require the non grade-stamped lumber to be torn out.

In addition, manufacturers and shippers who are unfamiliar with import requirements of foreign countries may not be aware of international phytosanitary regulations that apply to wood packaging. Or, perhaps you are shipping internationally on an infrequent basis and do not need ongoing IPPC marking service.

How much does it cost?
Costs for this service will depend on the amount of time the inspection takes and the distance the inspector has to travel. Hourly and daily rates are available. Please contact us for an estimate or to learn more.

What types of transient inspections are available?
PLIB provides transient inspections for lumber grading and ISPM 15 wood packaging.

There are two types of lumber grade inspections 1) Grade stamp / Certificate of Inspection and 2) Material-In-Structure inspection.

Lumber that is not installed in a structure can be inspected onsite at any location using the Grade stamp / Certificate of Inspection transient inspection service. Our inspectors will inspect and determine the grade of each piece of lumber according to the applicable grade rules. Each piece will be grade stamped or, if the lumber is going to be exposed and the appearance of a stamp would be detrimental, the lumber will be marked on the ends and a Certificate of Inspection will be issued that will list the grade(s) and tally.  

Lumber that is already installed in a structure cannot be grade stamped or certified according to the regulations of our accrediting bodies because not all surfaces and ends are visible. In such cases, our inspectors will inspect the installed lumber and a report will be issued that will identify grade quality of the lumber. Typically these reports are provided to building code officials, architects, and engineers to assist them in making decisions on the suitability of the lumber for the project. We recommend checking with your building department to confirm they accept “material-in-structure” reports.

Transient inspections for ISPM 15 wood packaging require advance planning and discussion with PLIB prior to the inspection so that the right lumber can be purchased and used in the wood packaging and the correct documentation is available. For these reasons we ask that you contact us in advance so that our inspection staff can guide you through the process. At the final inspection, PLIB inspectors will review your documentation, verify the lumber components are properly stamped, and apply the IPPC mark to all conforming wood packaging.

For more information on transient inspection services or to get an estimate, call us at (253) 835-3344 (U.S.) or (604) 732-1782 (Canada) or contact us via email.